Dum Aloo or Alu Dum belongs to, specifically, Kashmiri cuisine. The potatoes, usually smaller ones, are first deep fried, then cooked slowly at low flame in a gravy with spices. Dum Aloo is a popular recipe cooked throughout India.
Preparation Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time: 1 hr 10min
- 10-15 small Potatoes, boiled in salted water
- 1 large Onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup thick Curd (yogurt)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 pod Green Cardamom
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 4 Cloves
- 8-10 Cashew Nuts
- 1/2 tablespoon Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
- 1 teaspoon Sugar (optional)
- 5 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 2 tablespoons Coriander Leaves, chopped
1) Peel boiled potatoes
2) Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add boiled potatoes and shallow fry them over medium heat until they turn light brown.
3) Grind coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom , cinnamon, cloves and cashew nuts into a dry mix powder.
4) Take remaining 3 tablespoons oil in same kadai and heat it. Add a pinch of asafoetida and sauté for 8-10 seconds. Add bay leaves and finely chopped onion, sauté until onion turns light brown or for approx. 1-2 minutes. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for 30 seconds.
5) Add dry mix powder (prepared in step 3) and sauté for a minute.
6) Beat curd and slowly add it in kadai. Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and mix again.
7) Stir continuously for 2-3 minutes or until oil starts to separate.
8) Add shallow fried potatoes, kasuri methi, sugar and salt, cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
9) Add 3/4 cup water and bring it to boil.
10) When it starts to boil, cook covered on low flame until you get the desired consistency of gravy. Turn off the heat and transfer to a serving bowl.
11) Garnish dum aloo with coriander leaves, serve hot.
Please vote for this Recipe
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.