103 total views
Brussel Sprouts Subzi
The Brussels sprout is a cultivar in the Gemmifera group of cabbages , grown for its edible buds. The leafy green vegetables are typically 2.5–4 cm (0.98–1.6 in) in diameter and look like miniature cabbages. The Brussels sprout has long been popular in Brussels, Belgium, and may have originated there.Brussels sprouts, as with broccoli and other brassicas, contains sulforaphane, a chemical believed to have potent anticancer properties. Although boiling reduces the level of the anticancer compounds, steaming, and stir frying do not result in significant loss
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
- Brussel Sprouts – 1big bowl,quartered
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad Daal – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/2tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 5-6
- Onion – 1 small , finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 1 medium, chopped
- Sambar Powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Tomato Sauce – 1/2 cup
- Tamarind Paste – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
2. Add tadka of Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
3. Add in Fenugreek Seeds and Urad Daal, mix and let the daal turn light golden in color.
4. Add in Asafoetida, Turmeric Powder, Curry Leaves and mix.
5. Right after that add in the Onions and Tomatoes and allow them to soften a bit.
6. Once they are soft, add in the Salt, Red Chili Powder and Sambar Powder and mix.
7. Add in the Tomato Sauce and the Tamarind Paste and allow it to come to a boil.
8. At this time you can also do the taste test.
9. Once the taste test is done, add in the Brussel Sprouts and mix well but gently.
10. Cover and allow them to cook stirring periodically.
11. While stirring if you feel that they are drying up and burning, sprinkle some water, mix, cover and cook.
12. The total cooking time varies because of the size of the pieces or the crop, it may take between 12- 20 minutes to cook.
13. Once done, take off the flame and serve hot.