- 2 cups Chana Dal
- Onions, raw, 2 cup, chopped
- Bay Leaf, 1 tbsp, crumbled
- Garlic, 3 cloves
- Ginger Root, 2 slices (1″ dia)
- Cloves, ground, .25 tsp
- Tomato Paste, 0.15 cup
- Cumin powder, 1 tbsp
- Ground tumeric, 1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
1. Cook the dal in enough water till tender, about 6 cups of water for 2 cups lentils and a pinch of ground turmeric. Meanwhile chop onions; mince garlic and ginger root. Drain dal when tender and reserve.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Put cumin, bay leaf, clove. Sautee a minute until aromatic.
3. Add chopped onion, Chopped garlic, remaining turmeric powder, and ginger; fry till golden in colour.
4. Add cumin powder and tomato paste fry it on medium flame about one minute.
5. Pour cooked dal and mix it with onion and spices mix, cook for 2 minutes dal on medium flame. Mash the dal a little and add a more water if desired to make a creamy consistency.
6. Sprinkle with salt and lemon juice to taste or garnish with chopped coriander leaves.